#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Friday, March 15, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day! "Got Green?"

Aloha,

 
Welcome one and welcome all to the Got Green? Blog O’hop (version 2.0’)
I promised I’d answer all the questions thrown at me with guile or guise, so if I may offer up the Oirish warrior call of Erin go Back!!, here we go...

 
My question: What was it like growing up Irish as a child (or being Irish)?
The Home of one of my Best Friends in Rialto


I grew up in the inner city of Dublin, in a place called Rialto. It was a “dodgy” neighborhood and fairly dangerous even if you lived there (one fond memory is as a tween when a bunch of the older lads - in full-on, all-black Ninja gear) jumped over the wall of a neighbor’s house and they waded into about six of us. (I used to have the uncanny ability of crying on demand, so I went into fetus mode and wailed like a banshee… it worked a treat… I was the only one who didn’t get the bejaysus kicked out of me… fun times J

 
Elise Fallson said...
How tall are Leprechauns and what's their average shoe size?

Well, it’s funny you should ask this, Elise. The general rule of thumb (or in this case “sole”) is to take a standard can of SPAM. Now, look at the top, there is a small pull-ring thing. In Co. Mayo, (where Ketchup was invented by the Clan MacMustard in 1643) it is said that the foot of an adult Leprechaun will fit into the ring-pull thing, which is about an inch wide and two inches long. Taking this exact measurement and multiplying it by Apple’s Pie app, it can be gleaned that a fully extended Leprechaun is about “tirty-tree” inches tall (but has no available credit.)

 
Al Diaz said...
I would love you to tell me what the name of my favorite song is. I know it's Irish because I heard it first in an Irish themed movie but my case is helpless as I can't hum it to you.

Buenos Aires, Father Dragon (it’s always nice to have a member of the clergy stop by.) Well now, where do I start? I must ask about your last name, Diaz. That sounds like it comes from either Co. Cork (named after the 1289 discovery of the cap things they shove in wine bottles – and then make you take out… I never understood that one.) Perhaps you’re from Lisdoonvarna? And, if it is Lisdoonvarna, well you’ve answered your own question, because you’re surely talking about the famous Christy Moore song. Thanks for dropping by, Father. I’ll see you at the new roof fundraiser. Here’s that song:
 
 Elizabeth said...
Do the Irish laugh at the way we spend St. Patrick's Day? Is there anything we could do to further their amusement?

Well, Betty, can I call you Betty? Or Beth? J The Oirish always thought it was quaint that New York, Chicago and Bahstan had bigger parades than the Paddy’s Day parade in Dublin. I remember the Irish parades growing up were *terrible* (sad-looking horses led by depressed riders and everyone wanting to get out of the cold!) In the mid-‘90s, some smart fecker realized the Irish.gov could make some shillings out of the deal to where St. Paddy’s Day in Dublin is now a week-long festival. This squeezes every last Euro out of the gazillions of American tourists with no idea how the “funny-looking, multi-colored” money works – especially after the third pint of the Black Stuff J

Our last question comes from the delightful M. J. Joachim who said...
Have you ever met the Pied Piper? And dare ye to tell the story of the 3 and 4 leaf clover...

To be shure, me and PeePee are friends (even if he’s a bit wet around the ears.) I keep tellin’ him those pipes, the pipes he plays only attract the likes of that Danny Boy fellow (and he’s one that needs to grow up, let me tell you.) With the clover thing, as you know St. Paddy used the tree-leaved clover to explain the Holy Trinity to the heathen Oirish. (It’s not well-known that St. Paddy hired SIGGY O’Koopmans to create a painting of the three-leaved clover, but O’Koopmans added one too many curly bits and then cried like a big gurly gurl after St. Paddy banished him to the wee village of Rialto where he raised a family and created a dysentery…)



                               ###


Photo Credit: Scarlett's Husband :)
                                                            
















Cheers to everyone who signed up to participate! I can’t wait to read the posts – and to all of you who helped promote this madness, I say: I’m going to get you back on Cinco de Mayo (did you know that Ketch-…)




28 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hilarious!
So the Irish celebrate the holiday for a whole week to get money out of Americans? Sneaky.
And you would think a leprechaun would have no difficulties getting credit.

Shell Flower said...

Wow, life in Dublin sounds like it was a trip.Irish ninjas sound scary. And I never knew that about ketchup's roots in County Mayo. Fascinating. I once slept on the banks of the Liffey after reaching Dublin very late at night by train. Luckily, we didn't get the crap kicked out of us.

Elise Fallson said...

Hahah! Thanks for clearing that up Mark. I thought they'd be bigger . . . :P

Meradeth Houston said...

lol, great answers! I'm with Elise in thinking the green guys would be a bit bigger :) And I always kinda wondered about the St. Patrick's festival being a touristy thing!

Going to avoid the Irish Ninja's, thanks :) Happy St. Pats!

David P. King said...

Equating the size of a leprechaun based on a can of SPAM. Brilliant! Exactly what I'd expect from the one and only "Hawaiian" Irish. Awesome post, Mark, and a marvelous weekend to yah! :)

~Sia McKye~ said...

Now I see why you joined Alex's Ninja army, lolol!

The size of spam ring? hmmm. *looking around for the Blarney Stone.
BTW, does County Cork know you've created another legend for it's name?

Fun article.

Al Diaz said...

Hahaha, you made me laugh but no, that's not the song. But hey, I got some other clues. I heard the song in a Disney movie called "The luck of the Irish" (2009) It is not Fermoy Lasses and a group of men are singing it in a bar while a kid is trying to steal their gold coins. Seems to me this song is popular while they are drinking, or drinking is just popular with any song, hahaha.

My Spanish ears hear "Hurrah, hurrah" repeated between each line but that might just be what I make of it.

Al Diaz said...

I think I'm getting a bit of Irish luck myself. I found the scene in YouTube and the song is in minute 2.52 and it is not hurrah, hahahaha. Anyway, here's the link. Now you can make me happy and reveal the mystery for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbDbuS5yPbc

Anonymous said...

Top o the the mornin to ya, me friend and friend of PeePee:) Always wanted to meet the old guy. Do ya thinks ya could elp me arrange it?

Seems you're well aware of 'ow to keep those nosy neighbors at bay, me friend...if they think you're nuts, they want nuttin to do with you!

Happy St. Paddy's Day and pass the Irish Whiskey, please. A pint of ale is all fine and good, but there's nothing like toastin with the good stuff and eating corned beef and cabbage on March 17, to be sure! :) Cheers!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

As an ugly capitalist, I give a high five to the city of Dublin. Drunk people and their funny money should part...it's for a good cause!

Fun fest Mark!! It's always enjoyable. :)

Johanna Garth said...

Really? A ninja boy? That shouldn't amuse me, but it does.

Nicole said...

Great Blarney Stones - I forgot this was today! For some reason, I had Monday in mind. Off to update my post. :)

This was hilarious, by the way. I love your Oirish tongue. Happy St. Paddy's!

Unknown said...

Happy St. Pat's! Loved the answers to your questions. I didn't know about the origins of ketchup, very cool. I though leprechauns would be tinier, though in the horror films he's quite large. LOL

M said...

Loved your memory about the "ninjas" in Dublin!

~M Pepper Langlinais
http://pepperwords.com

Mark Means said...

I'm not sure I'd want to see a 'fully extended' Leprechaun *ahem*, but have heard legend of the Dublin Ninjas...they are to be feared :)

Great post!

Heather M. Gardner said...

Ha! Great post and responses! I learned a lot. Where were you when I needed to build a leprechaun trap for my kid 2 years ago?
Great job on the Blogfest!
Happy Being Irish Day!
Heather

Samantha May said...

Americans will throw money at anything that makes us sound European and cool :D

Thanks for the fun hop!

L.G. Keltner said...

I've never pictured an Irish ninja before, but I certainly will now!

Melissa said...

Fun post, Mark. Thanks for hosting the hop. :)

dolorah said...

I think one of your leprechauns stole my mouse last night. I had a heck of a time getting my post completed. 2x. Cool answers and great questions. I didn't get a chance to ask you one, pity, I like seeing you work for your green :)

This blog fest is a lot of fun Mark. Thanks for hosting it again.

Siggy Rules!

.......dhole

Azia said...

ah! this is fantastic! I caught myself a few times reading your answers out loud attempting to work on my (non-existent) Irish accent!

Unknown said...

Well, I'm relieved you didn't tell us your childhood was like that of the kids in Angela's Ashes, lol. And I admire a kid that's able to cry on demand. That takes mad focus! Thanks for this fab bloghop! I hope you do it again! :)

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Thanks for answering my questions and wow that really is a dodgy place you lived as a kid. So you know the Pied Piper and the measurement of a leprechaun? You truly have lived a rich life Mark. Thanks for hosting this blogfest.

Unknown said...

Just awesome. :-D Happy St. Patrick's Day, Mark!

Kirsten said...

Wow, I learned a lot from this! Ninjas, Leprechauns and silly tourists ... it all makes sense now.

Have a happy St. Paddy's Day over there in HI! :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Mark .. they nearly caught you out - great questions and answers .. now I hope you're waking up to some green beer .. enjoy the celebrations .. cheers Hilary

randi lee said...

Hi Mark! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comments :) Thought I'd come check yours out in return. I have to say, you are quite the entertaining one!! Look forward to reading more of your great posts!

Nancy Thompson said...

Happy St. Paddy's Day to ya!

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;