#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Monday, November 7, 2011

I cracked Janet Reid up! (Maybee I kan rite after all...)

Aloha,

If you're in the business of writing, you've heard of Janet Reid, literary agent. I follow her via my blog roll, and every now and again, Ms. Reid hosts snap writing contests.

This time, the idea was to write a story using one hundred words or fewer and post it in the comment column of her blog.

I also had to use these words in the story:
countdown
truck
fringe
argo
rens

The 24-hour contest ended Sunday, and while I didn't win, I did get an honorable mention in her "Lines that just cracked me up" section:

Mark 10:06am
“Hey now Liam, ‘argo,’ ‘ergo,’ I go where you go, you know that.”

There were about seventy-five entries, so for Ms. Reid to even offer a few words of encouragement means a lot (especially on a long, tired Sunday evening when I'd rather be sleeping.)
Look out for the puddly pothole, Papa!
In my writing career, I know the road ahead will be long, winding, full of potholes and even a speed trap or two, but at least I know - and believe -  I'm heading in the right direction!

Here's my one hundred word entry:

*******
“Well then, argo, it must be true,” Rens whined.

“Stop being such a huffster, you’re going to see something amazing,” I said, the damn fly buzzing me to the fringe of anger. “And, it’s ‘ergo,’ not ‘argo.’”

“Hey now Liam, ‘argo,’ ‘ergo,’ I go where you go, you know that.”

“Rens, you surely are numb nuts, but great. You won’t be disappointed, brother,” I said, lowering the truck windows and watching my fly fly.

“That dead intercom on my bed, the one I been telling you about? They talked to me again. They’re coming. The countdown is on, man: 11/11/11.”


November 05, 2011 10:06 AM

********

10 comments:

Sarah Tokeley said...

To be mentioned by Janet Reid is pretty cool indeed. I've often seen those contests but never dared to enter, so well done to you :-)

Kitty said...

Congrats on the honorable mention! She mentioned me, too:
Imaginative use of "rens"
Kitty 10:35am--"children's"


And thanks for checking out my story blog and especially the nice comments :~)

Kitty said...

Btw, Mark, not to plug my stuff, but I wrote another story about the Irish called THE CURSE OF THE HAPPY CHILDHOOD. It's a true story, an essay, really, of when I attended a book review for "Angela's Ashes."

Kitty said...

Ooops, here's the URL:
http://briefsandotherunmentionables.blogspot.com/2005/02/curse-of-happy-childhood.html

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! And you can definitely be a writer.

FHL said...

Oh my goodness, I just read your article in the homeschool group's newsletter! Thanks for adding a good chuckle to my morning!!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, I'm glad you had fun looking through my blog. Also, (this is very much a compliment) you are so Hawaiian, it's really cool.

ps congrats on baby #3

Kitty said...

Mark left some lovely compliments on my blog, too. Thank you, Mark :)

Steve formerly of Titusville now in Mt Hope said...

Keep going Mark, you are bound to hit soon!

David P. King said...

That is sweet, Mark! Keep plugging those words in. You might just surprise us all (and crack up up). More importantly, yourself.

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;